As many of you know, I have been dealing with some pretty annoying digestive issues for a little over a year now, and they’re still (frustratingly) not super in check!
But one thing I do know is that over-indulging in gluten and dairy always sets me off (hello, inflammation!), so in my typical diet when I’m not out with friends, those aren’t a party of my routine.
With Fall approaching though, my mind is lingering on yummy breads as we start to get prepped for the season. Breads are usually laden with gluten, dairy, refined sugar, ya know, you’re typical nasties (but things that we all enjoy from time to time!).
Recently, I’ve made it a goal of mine to start cooking and baking more than I already do and experimenting in the kitchen. While I was home with my parents last week, my mom had THE LARGEST zucchini I’ve ever seen from her garden, and she said she had planned to make zucchini bread – I jumped on the bandwagon and asked if I could try my hand at my own healthier version, and so, we had a little mommy daughter bake-off.
My mom used her traditional recipe – buttermilk Bisquick, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vegetable oil, baking soda. DELICIOUS! But, there are a few things in there that would set me off!
My version? I followed some guidelines from Ambitious Kitchen, and made a few adjustments of my own. I subbed the whole wheat baking flour for gluten free, the honey for Truvia nectar and omitted the nuts.
SIMPLY WONDERFUL. (If you don’t trust me, my dad, mom and friend Elizabeth can attest!)
It was flavorful, moist, didn’t taste like any “healthy” adjustments were made, and best of all, sensitivity friendly!
This is a must try, so get ready to get your bake on!
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup Truvia Nectar (or honey if you’re not trying to get the calories/sugar!)
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour (or whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour if you don’t mind gluten)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled (can sub melted butter or vegan butter)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 8×4 inch loaf pan (I think glass works best!) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix zucchini, Truvia Nectar, eggs, almond milk, vanilla extract until smooth. This an be done in a bowl with hand mixer or in a mixer if you own one!
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Next, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Finally add in coconut oil and mix again until well combined.
- Pour into prepared glass loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes until tester comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool and serve into 12 slices.
For 1 slice of 12:
Calories: 162 | Fat: 6.1g | Carbs: 23.4g | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugars: 9.2g | Protein: 3.3g
Comment below if you try – would love to hear your thoughts!